Saturday, October 15, 2011

Decisions Decisions

I've mentioned about a dozen times already that I'm in the midst of re-designing my brew system and turning it into a full HERMS system. I already have most of the major parts: THe HLT, the silicon tubing, the heating element (one of, at least) the controller and the SSR probe. But I've been going back and forth in my mind about the pump.

On the one hand, I could do just fine on a laundry machine pump. I have one already and it works well. Granted, the one I have only ever pumps cold water, and this one will need to pump hot wort, but that's ok. It'll last for a while. And when it falls apart well.. They're cheap enough to just get another one.

On the other hand, a laundry pump is a second-best solution. For the best in home brewing, there really is only on king: The March 809 brewing pump. Actually, that king had been dethroned by the 815, which is the same pump, but with better performance. If you're going to get a brewing pump to transfer hot liquid, this is the one to get.
It is a thing of beauty.

Except that the March pump is quite expensive. For the price of one March pump I could get about four or five laundry pumps.

One the other hand, a March pump will easily outlast four or five laundry pumps. And is made of food grade material. If I'm going to be pumping hot wort, not just cooling water, that's something to think about.

And so on and so on.

My wife set me on the right track at the end. She said "If you're going into all the work and expense to re-do your system, it should be a system you're really happy with"

So I decided to order the March Pump. To paraphrase Crosby Steels and Nash. "If you can't be with the one you love, look online for it" (Doesn't scan as well, but it's better advice)

So that's it. Pump's on its way. With my father bringing it in a suitcase it would hopefully not be as expensive as having it shipped. Estimated due date: Mid November

Also this week: Avi and I brew a Belgium to inaugurate his new fridge, and I get up in the morning and decide to brew beer from leftovers. But that's a different post.

2 comments:

  1. אשתך צודקת, החלטה נכונה, תתחדש...

    ReplyDelete